A police officer examines a motorcycle after a female stunt driver working on the movie ‘Deadpool 2’ died after a crash on set, in Vancouver, B.C., on Monday Aug. 14, 2017. (Darryl Dyck/The Canadian Press)

WorkSafeBC details safety violations in stuntwoman’s death on ‘Deadpool 2’ set in Vancouver

Five safety violations found by production company in 2017 filming of action movie

A Vancouver-based production company failed to adequately assess safety risks, provide necessary headgear and ensure a safe set during the 2017 filming of Deadpool 2 when a stuntwoman was killed, according to WorkSafeBC.

TCF Vancouver Productions Ltd. failed to meet five requirements under the Occupational Health and Safety Regulation and Workers Compensation Act after Joi (SJ) Harris was killed in a motorcycle stunt during filming in downtown Vancouver, according to a report released Wednesday.

According to witnesses at the time, Harris had been rehearsing the stunt near the Shaw Tower, riding slowly down a set of stairs and stopping when she reached the road at the bottom.

But when the scene was ready to film, the motorcycle had picked up speed and crossed the street, narrowly hit a pedestrian, and crashed into a window of a building.

The production company failed to properly assess the motorcycle, as well conduct a stunt safety inspection check – both required by its own health and safety program, the report said.

It also didn’t provide Harris with new-worker orientation or proper supervision, and did not set up barriers to prevent her from leaving the set perimeter, the report said.

WATCH: ‘Deadpool 2’ stuntwoman who died was pioneering motorcycle racer

WATCH: Ryan Reynolds ‘heartbroken’ after death of stunt driver on Deadpool 2 set

WorkSafeBC said the main purpose of its report is to identify a cause and contributing factors of the incident to prevent similar tragedies in the future.

A penalty against the production company is under consideration.


@ashwadhwani
ashley.wadhwani@bpdigital.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Closures and cancellations in the Bulkley Valley due to COVID-19

Many places and businesses have closed or reduced their hours

UPDATE: Man drowns crossing Skeena River

59-year old Prince Rupert victim pronounced dead at Mills Memorial

Better COVID-19 testing results needed in the north

Former senior Northern Health official also wants work camps shut down

Social media a blessing and a curse during time of crisis: B.C. communication expert

‘In moments of crisis, fear is very real and palpable,’ says SFU’s Peter Chow-White

Northern Health preparing ‘for a changing situation’ in response to COVID-19

The health authority is taking a number of measures to free up hospital capacity where possible

‘The Office’ star John Krasinski offers Some Good News in trying times

‘The human spirit still found a way to break through and blow us all away’

B.C. worker advocate group calls for more sick days, protected medical leave

COVID-19 highlights need for changes to workers legislation: Retail Action Network

New rules issued for B.C. construction projects, work camps for COVID-19

Coastal GasLink, LNG Canada, Trans Mountain and Site C carry on

Canada to spend $2B more on procuring medical supplies for COVID-19 fight

Government has signed deals with three companies

World COVID-19 updates: Putin may be exposed; 30,000 prisoners released

Comprehensive news update from around the world as of Tuesday, March 31.

Canada expands 75% wage subsidy to COVID-19 affected businesses of all sizes: Trudeau

Program will provide up to $847 per week for each worker

‘This is no joke’: B.C. woman in Alberta hospital asks people to stay home during COVID-19

‘I want people to start listening to what the doctors are saying. This is no joke, please stay home’

Most Read