Trial date not set for triple murder case 

Rueben Buhler’s preliminary hearing will likely be set for March 2016.

In the story ‘Trial date for triple murder case to be set soon’ published in the Lakes District News’ Aug. 19, 2015, edition, the trial date for the case of Rueben Buhler – the man arrested in relation to a triple homicide in Burns Lake – was expected to be determined on Sept. 9, 2015.

However, during the fixed date that took place on Sept. 9 at the Burns Lake Provincial Court, a trial date was not determined. Instead another fixed date was set for Oct. 14, 2015.

Jordan Allingham, Buhler’s lawyer, explained that the defence still has a large volume of disclosure to read before a trial can take place, and the Crown has yet to provide all of the disclosure.

“Once that is reviewed, I will be in a position to determine how much time will be needed for a preliminary inquiry and trial of this matter,” he said.

Allingham expects that on Oct. 14 a date will be set for a preliminary inquiry, which will likely take place around March 2016.

Tempers flared as family members of some of the victims verbally attacked Buhler’s family outside of the Burns Lake Provincial Court while Buhler’s fixed date was taking place on Sept. 9, 2015. The victim assistance worker calmed the situation down and eventually everyone left the parking lot.

Buhler has been charged with three counts of second degree murder and remains in custody. Buhler has not had a bail hearing at this stage.

“We will determine whether we will seek his release at an appropriate time,” said Allingham.

On April 27, 2015, at 8:25 a.m., the Burns Lake RCMP attended a residence in the 200 block of Fifth Avenue in Burns Lake after receiving a report of potential foul play. Neighbours said they heard gun shots ring out around 6 a.m. When officers entered the residence, they found three people – one woman and two men – dead inside.

“I cannot share anything further at this stage other than the fact Mr. Buhler is presumed to be innocent, has a right to a fair trial, and not to be prejudged before then,” said Allingham. “The public hopefully understands that these matters do take some time to run their course to ensure people are either properly acquitted or properly convicted.”

The identities of all three victims are still not being released.

 

Just Posted

Freedom of information campaign on ICBC rates started

Former Telkwa mayor Darcy Repen is recruiting people to get ICBC info for each postal code.

Prince Rupert Gas Transmission project searches for partners

TransCanada is renewing permits for its natural gas pipeline project to North Coast.

Province announces $100-million grant funding for Northwest communities

The Northern Capital and Planning Grant will go to four regional districts and 22 municipalities

Coastal GasLink stops work to investigate archaeological find

OGC archaeologists are en route to the Houston-area site where Unist’ot’en report finding stone tools

UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples: The framework for reconciliation

Guest View from writers involved in the United Nations declaration.

Trudeau’s principal secretary, Gerald Butts, resigns amid SNC-Lavalin furor

Butts categorically denies the accusation that he or anyone else in the PMO improperly pressured former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould

Lost a ring? This B.C. man will find it for you

Chris Turner founded The Ring Finders, an international directory of metal detector hobbyists

Poverty coalition has high hopes for B.C. poverty reduction strategy

Funding allocation expected to be released with 2019 budget

‘How did we get here?’: B.C. mom of transplant recipient worries about measles outbreaks

Addison, 7, cannot get a live vaccine because she has a heart transplant

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh calls for public inquiry over SNC-Lavalin questions

Vancouver member of Parliament Jody Wilson-Raybould resigned from cabinet last week

Canadian airlines waiting for guidance from Ottawa over X gender option

Major U.S. airlines said they will change their process so passengers can identify themselves along non-binary lines

Moose Hide campaign takes message to Canadian schools

Campaign launches new K-12 education platform

UPDATED: ‘Violent’ B.C. man back in custody after Alberta arrest

Prince George man with ties to Vernon was being sought by police

Homicide police investigate assault turned deadly in Surrey

60-year-old man died at hospital after assault

Most Read