Tragic end to search for missing Fort St. James man

The body of a missing Fort St. James man was located near Fort Babine yesterday.

The body of Fort St. James man Mitchell Lazarre Snr

The body of Fort St. James man Mitchell Lazarre Snr

The search for a Fort St. James man who went missing near Fort Babine Monday has ended in tragedy after his body was found yesterday.

A search and rescue operation was launched Wednesday after family members of 49-year-old Mitchell Lazarre Snr. reported him missing.

Lazarre had not been seen since he walked away from a smokehouse in the Fort Babine area in the early hours of Monday morning.

His body was found about a kilometre from the smokehouse at 11.20 a.m. yesterday.

Smithers RCMP said foul play was not suspected and the cause of death would be determined by the B.C. Coroner’s Service.

Lazarre’s niece-in-law Bobbi-Lynn George told The Interior News today her uncle was a family man who would be dearly missed.

“He was a very loving caring man who would never hurt a soul that’s for sure,” said George.

“He cared for his children very very much. His grandchildren were very important to him.”

His sister Rhonda Lazarre, who lives in Prince George, said yesterday her brother had been visiting Fort Babine to go fishing.

She said when he walked away from the smokehouse Monday morning he had told family members he was going to visit his son in Moricetown, however his son no longer lives there.

Rhonda had been concerned her brother had become lost.

“He doesn’t even know that country … family and friends that live in that area — they said it’s all mountainous and my brother could take the wrong route,” she said.

Her family had used social media to appeal to the public for information. They also spread the word in other communities where he might have gone.