The Village has been using a section of the municipal building that has yet to be renovated but provides more space for social distancing for their council meetings. (Marisca Bakker photo)

Telkwa hopes to start assessment of municipal building for next stage of renovations

Staff to apply for grant for the Office Building Life Cycle Cost Assessment/Maintenance Plan Project

The Village of Telkwa is hoping to secure some funding to do an assessment of the municipal office building.

At the May 26 regular council meeting, councillors directed staff to apply for a grant opportunity from the Federation of Canadian Municipalities’ Municipal Asset Management Program for the office building life cycle cost assessment and maintenance plan project.

If accepted, the grant would cover 80 per cent of the cost and the village would be on the hook for the remaining 20 per cent. The program is intended for smaller municipalities to be able to improve asset management practices. The village has previously benefited from this program to develop an asset management program for its sewer and water systems.

“We have a line in our budget for municipal office renovations,” Director of Operations Lev Hartfeil said. “So what I’m proposing is we get going on the assessment management plan with that budget and apply for the funding that can cover most of the costs of the assessment.”

Hartfeil said it will cost around $15,000 to to do the assessment and management plan, meaning if the grant application is approved, the village would only have to pay $3,000.

“A full assessment of the building, all the mechanical systems, look for asbestos, and coming up with a prioritized list of what needs to be done to protect the asset over the coming years and initial budget estimates that will be required. Part of it is also building it up to code and protecting our assets and taking care of it so it will be usable in the long term and making it more useable space for our staff and tenants,” he added.

Council was in full agreement to apply for the funding.

The village bought the meat co-op’s former building about ten years ago on the corner of Hankin and Highway 16 and has been slowly renovating it, which not only helped to clean up that corner of Telkwa but also created a village office after the former one was deemed unsafe. It also provides office space for other businesses.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Pretium Resources reports fatality at Brucejack mine

The isolated incident occurred last Friday, and the employee passed away on Sunday in hospital.

Smithers man leaves $1 million to children’s hospital

Jim Bolster wanted to help out children with health problems like his own

QUIZ: How much do you know about British Columbia?

On this B.C. Day long weekend, put your knowledge of our province to the test

New ownership resurrects BV Taxi

The new owners expect to be taking fares by mid-August

Tahltan Nation closes hunting and recreational activity access points

The remote and vulnerable territory has limited medical capacity

Alberta to require masks at schools this fall, but still no mandate in B.C.

B.C. students are also set to return to classrooms in September

30% of British Columbians would ‘wait and see’ before taking COVID vaccine: poll

Some are concerned about side effects, while others don’t think the virus is a big deal

Don’t leave your hand sanitizer in the sun and other tips to stay COVID safe this summer

Being mindful of staying outside and keeping hand sanitizer, sunscreen out of the sun recommended

What exactly is ‘old growth’ B.C. forest, and how much is protected?

Forests minister Doug Donaldson doesn’t support ‘moratorium’

Canadians can travel to Hawaii in September; no quarantine with negative COVID test

Travellers will be required to pay for their own tests prior to arriving

Anonymous letters tell Vancouver Island family their kids are too loud

Letter said the noise of kids playing in Parksville backyard is ‘unbearable’

Michael Buble among 13 British Columbians to receive Order of B.C.

Ceremony will be delayed to 2021 due to COVID-19

U.S. border communities feel loss of Canadian tourists, shoppers and friends

Restrictions on non-essential travel across the Canada-U.S. border have been in place since March 2`

Most Read