IT looks as if a deal with Enbridge concerning its Northern Gateway pipeline is over.
In a statement released today, Enbridge says it has received word the Gitxsan hereditary chiefs have reconsidered what was an endorsement of Gitxsan participation as an equity partner in the pipeline project.
“While we are disappointed at this shift in stance in relation to our 2009 protocol agreement with the Nation and in relation to 2011 meetings with Hereditary representatives, we respect this decision,” Enbridge official Paul Stanway said in a release today.
“We look forward to receiving written communication from the Gitxsan Hereditary chiefs, so that we have greater clarity in relation to their current perspectives. And we will continue to engage with the Gitxsan Nation in relation to the Project.”
“In the meantime, we will also continue to work and engage with corridor First Nations groups, including the more than 20 groups who in recent weeks have fully executed and endorsed equity participation agreements.”
The existence of the equity agreement, which would have provided $7 million to the Gitxsan, was publicized by Gitxsan Treaty Society chief negotiator Elmer Derrick Dec. 2 of last year.
His announcement sparked widespread opposition and, ultimately, a blockade of the treaty office in Hazelton.
The Gitxsan chiefs made their decision at a meeting yesterday.