John Brittain is escorted from the RCMP detachment in Penticton, B.C., on Tuesday, April 16, 2019, in this image made from video. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Amy Smart

Former home of accused Penticton shooter vandalized

Ex-wife of man who is accused of murdering four people had her house vandalized

The former home of the Penticton man accused of fatally shooting four people was allegedly vandalized.

Approximately $10,000 in damage allegedly occurred at the home where John Brittain’s ex-wife still resides.

The information came forward in Penticton provincial court on Wednesday while Crown counsel was re-applying for a no contact order between the accused and his ex-wife.

READ MORE: No contact order approved between accused Penticton killer and his ex-wife

Brittain, 68, is charged with the murder of four of his ex-wife’s neighbours — Darlene Knippelberg, Susan and Barry Wonch and Rudi Winter — in April.

READ MORE: Still months of investigation left into Penticton murders

“About two or three weeks ago Mrs. (Katherine) Brittain’s home was seriously vandalized with approximately $10,000 worth of damage that was done. There is an insurance claim pending and there is also a criminal charge pending and Mrs. Brittain has become even more emotionally fragile and isolated,” said defence lawyer Paul McMurray.

READ MORE: Landlord of alleged Penticton shooter recounts deadly day

While Brittain is not listed as the co-owner of the home, according to his counsel, he does have a significant interest as he has provided her with financial assistance for the upkeep of the residence. McMurray argued the Brittain’s should be allowed contact because they rely on one another for emotional support and the accused’s ex-wife continues to be “more isolated and more ostracized by the community.”

READ MORE: Alleged Penticton gunman seen ‘angrily yelling’ before opening fire

This is the third time the Crown has put forward the application for renewal as they wait for complete disclosure to be available from RCMP.

Crown counsel Andrew Vandersluys said the accused and his ex-wife have maintained a close relationship and potentially she will be called as a Crown witness as RCMP are still investigating documentation that was seized from her home in relation to the four murder charges.

In order to maintain the integrity of the investigation and the evidence, Vandersluys said it is important that the pair do not have contact unless through a lawyer who has read the order.

Judge Lisa Wyatt said considering the issues brought forward by Crown, and that the investigation remains in early days, the no contact order will stand.

Vandersluys said defence counsel is seeking a limited preliminary inquiry, however they do not have an idea of how much time will be required for that or how many witnesses will be called. He anticipates they will have more information on that at the next court appearance on Aug. 14 at 9:30 a.m.

To report a typo, email: editor@pentictonwesternnews.com.


@PentictonNews
newstips@pentictonwesternnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Concerns raised over publicly discarded masks, gloves

Deputy mayor says behaviour is simply unacceptable in time of elevated public health crisis

Closures and cancellations in the Bulkley Valley due to COVID-19

Many places and businesses have closed or reduced their hours

Stikine MLA optimistic about COVID-19 recovery

Doug Donaldson says first step is to beat the pandemic then work out the economics

Canfor closes Houston and Plateau mills temporarily

Three-week closure in response to COVID-19 crisis

B.C. COVID-19 contact restrictions working, Dr. Bonnie Henry says

’Not out of the woods yet’ as next two weeks are critical

Trudeau announces 75% wage subsidy for small businesses amid COVID-19

This is up from the previously announced 10 per cent wage subsidy

World update, 9:30 p.m. March 27: Positive news in Korea as U.S. hits 100,000 cases

The United States now has the most coronavirus cases of any country in the world

VIDEO: Penguins roam empty halls of Vancouver Aquarium

COVID-19 has forced the Vancouver Aquarium to close access to guests – leaving room for its residents

Kids get back to learning in B.C., online

Ministry of Education rolls out new tool for school

67 more B.C. COVID-19 cases, two more deaths in Vancouver region

Positive tests found in Surrey, Langley long-term care facilities

‘Now is not the time to bag that peak’: BCSAR manager discourages risky outdoor adventures

Call volumes are not going down, even as the COVID-19 pandemic persists

Food Banks BC already seeing surge in demand due to COVID-19 pandemic

Executive director Laura Lansink said they expect applications will keep increasing

Nanaimo couple caught aboard cruise ship with four dead and COVID-19 present

Four ‘older guests’ have died on Holland America’s Zaandam; cruise line confirms two COVID-19 cases

Frontline workers receiving COVID-19 isolation exemptions prompt concerns

Provincial Health Authority staff exempt from self-isolation upon return from international travel

Most Read