A house

Fire damages house and carport in Smithers

It isn’t how Kevin and Catherine van Sickle expected to spend Christmas, but a fire on the evening of December 22 left them without a home.

It isn’t how Kevin and Catherine van Sickle expected to spend Christmas, but a fire on the evening of December 22 left them without a home.

“I didn’t know what to think,” Kevin said when his brother-in-law called to tell him his home was on fire.

“I just wondered how that happened.”

At the time of the fire, the van Sickles were enjoying a Christmas supper in Telkwa.

The house, on 22nd Avenue,  the van Sickles have called home for the last 15 years, was rendered unlivable by a fire that started in the carport.

Despite the fire, Kevin said Christmas was not a sad affair.

“Christmas was really good,” he said.

“We managed to salvage the Christmas gifts.”

Damage to the carport and house is extensive, Kevin said.

The carport, the main structural wall and the roofs will have to be replaced.

Smoke damage, in addition to rendering the house unlivable, also ruined much of the contents of the house, Kevin explained.

The fire, which began about 8 p.m. forced the van Sickles, along with their children Andrew and Ashley to move into an apartment with their eldest child, Ryan.

Despite the extensive damage, the structure is salvageable and that is good news for Kevin.

“I’m kind of glad it didn’t burn down to the ground,” he said.

In fact, the couple hope to be back into their home sometime in March or April.

For now, the couple are looking for a place to stay.

Family and friends have also opened an account at the Bulkley Valley Credit Union where donations can be made to help the van Sickles get back on their feet.

The account number is 392159.

If you have an apartment or home to rent please call Bev Leer, 250-847-2674.

 

 

Just Posted

President and CEO leaving Coast Mountain College

Burt will say goodbye to CMNT come September

UPDATE: Downed power pole shuts down Petro-Canada

Business operator says Waste Management was responsible for the incident

CN train derailment cleared between Terrace and Prince Rupert

The CN mainline is now open, following a train derailment mid-way between… Continue reading

Fire burns down barn and workshop near Tyhee Lake

Owner Martin Hennig estimates around $200,000 in uninsured losses after the buildings burned down.

Portugese national concertmaster headlines classical music festival

Spirit of the North festival will feature internationally-renowned musicians to local kids

Fashion Fridays: 5 casual summer dress styles

Kim XO, helps to keep you looking good on Fashion Fridays on the Black Press Media Network

Injured fawn at B.C. vet will be euthanized Friday night unless claimed by sanctuary

Gilbert the deer is currently being treated at West Kelowna’s Rose Valley Veterinary Hospital

BC Wildfire Service warns wet weather no reason to be complacent

Fire risk currently low for much of B.C. compared to same time over last two years.

Bank of Canada lowers qualifying rate used in mortgage stress tests

Home sales softened last year after the federal government introduced new stress test rules for uninsured mortgages

Couple found dead along northern B.C. highway in double homicide

Woman from the U.S. and man from Australia found dead near Liard Hot Springs

B.C. man pleads guilty in snake venom death of toddler

Plea comes more than five years after the incident in North Vancouver

Trudeau says Ottawa open to proposals for B.C. refinery as gas prices soar

Prime minister says he knows B.C. residents are struggling and the federal government is open to ideas

Clock’s ticking to share how you feel about Daylight Saving Time in B.C.

Provincial public survey ends at 4 p.m. on Friday

B.C. First Nation’s group using ads in Texas targeting company for fuel spill

The Heiltsuk Tribal Council has called out Kirby Corporation for the Nathan E. Stewart oil spill

Most Read