Enbridge files improved safety plans with JRP

Enbridge Inc. has submitted to the JRP additional safety measures they will implement should the Gateway project be approved.

  • Jul. 20, 2012 9:00 a.m.

After months of public hearings into their proposed Northern Gateway pipeline project, Enbridge Inc. submitted reply evidence to the National Energy Board’s joint review panel highlighting additional safety measures they will implement should the Gateway project be approved.

Just weeks after the U.S. National Transport Safety Board released their report which slammed the inadequacy of their response to a spill in Kalamzoo, Michigan, Enbridge identified six additional safety measures they would incorporate into the Northern Gateway pipleline to minimize the risk of a potential spill and to improve spill detection.

Enbridge hopes these measure will calm fears of an environmental disaster should a spill occur.

“We recognize that there are concerns among Aboriginal groups and the public around pipeline safety and integrity,” Executive Vice President, Western Access, Enbridge Inc, Janet Holder said.

“We had already planned to build a state-of-the-art project, using the most advanced technology, safety measures and procedures in the industry today.

“With these enhanced measures, we will make what is already a very safe project even safer in order to provide further comfort to people who are concerned about the safety of sensitive habitats in remote areas.”

The extra measures Enbridge outlined for the Northern Gateway pipeline include extra measures include increasing pipeline wall thickness of the oil pipeline with additional pipeline wall thickness for water crossings such of major tributaries to the Fraser, Skeena and Kitimat Rivers.

Enbridge said they would also increase the number of remotely-operated isolation valves, which would increase the number of isolation valves in BC by 50 per cent.  Also in the reply evidence is an increase in the frequency of in-line inspection surveys across entire pipeline system by a minimum 50 per cent over and above current standards, installing dual leak detection systems, staffing pump stations in remote locations on a 24/7 basis for on-site monitoring, heightened security, and rapid response to abnormal conditions.

The extra measures, Enbridge said, build on the plan in the application presently before federal regulators that already far surpasses industry codes and standards and go above and beyond anything that has ever been done before in the industry.

The Enbridge expects these extra measures will carry an additional cost of approximately $400 million – $500 million.

“After years of consultation with stakeholders and after personally attending many regulatory hearings for Northern Gateway, it has become clear – we have to do everything we can to ensure confidence in the project,” Holder said.

“We’ve listened. We have often been asked if we could guarantee that we would never have a significant pipeline failure over the years on Northern Gateway.

“These initiatives will put the project closer than any pipeline system in the world to providing that guarantee.”

The Northern Gateway Project is a proposed 1,176-km twin pipeline system and marine terminal.

The proposed project, currently under regulatory review, would transport 525,000 barrels per day (bpd) of oil for export and import 193,000 bpd of condensate.

 

 

Just Posted

Story of Wet’suwet’en Chief Alfred Joseph being told

Song of the Earth on Chief Gisday’wa will be launched in Hagwilget

Telkwa holds the line on mill rates

Telkwa taxes to remain steady, but water and sewer rates are going up

Terrace death not considered suspicious at this time: RCMP

Body of 49-year-old man was found in wooded area near Olson Ave. March 22

Highway 16 Action Plan driving progress

Safety, connectivity main goals of scheme presented to Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako.

Houston woman gets two years for aggravated assault

Ewald pleads guilty; trial of co-accused Calvin Dyrland begins in Smithers court

The good, bad and the unknown of Apple’s new services

The announcements lacked some key details, such as pricing of the TV service

UPDATED: Three dead in Surrey crash: police

Single-vehicle crash occurred around 10:30 a.m., police remain on-scene

Eviction halted for B.C. woman deemed ‘too young’ for seniors’ home

Zoe Nagler, 46, had been given notice after living in the seniors complex in Comox for six years

Is it a homicide? B.C. woman dies in hospital, seven months after being shot

Stepfather think Chilliwack case should now be a homicide, but IHIT has not confirmed anything

Coroner’s inquest announced for Victoria teen’s overdose death

Elliot Eurchuk was 16 years old when he died of an opioid overdose at his Oak Bay home

Military officer accused of sexual misconduct, drunkenness in B.C., Alberta

Warrant Officer Jarvis Kevin Malone is charged under the National Defence Act

Stranger climbs onto B.C. family’s second-floor balcony, lights fire in barbecue

Incident in Abbotsford terrifies family with two-year-old boy

Harbour Air to convert to all-electric seaplanes

Seaplane company to modify fleet with a 750-horsepower electric motor

Sailings cancelled after BC Ferries boat hits Langdale terminal

The Queen of Surrey is stuck on the dock, causing delays to Horseshoe Bay trips

Most Read