UPDATE: Collision centre fire caused by spark in ventilation stack: fire chief

Flames pour from the roof stack at Northline Collision April 19. (Marisca Bakker photo)Flames pour from the roof stack at Northline Collision April 19. (Marisca Bakker photo)
Firefighters spray a stack on the roof of Northline Collision in Smithers April 19. (Thom Barker photo)Firefighters spray a stack on the roof of Northline Collision in Smithers April 19. (Thom Barker photo)
Firefighters gather in front of Northline Collision in Smithers April 19. (Thom Barker photo)Firefighters gather in front of Northline Collision in Smithers April 19. (Thom Barker photo)
A Smithers firefighter raises the ladder at Northline Collision in Smithers April 19. (Thom Barker photo)A Smithers firefighter raises the ladder at Northline Collision in Smithers April 19. (Thom Barker photo)
Firefighters survey the outside of the Northline Collision building in Smithers April 19. (Thom Barker photo)Firefighters survey the outside of the Northline Collision building in Smithers April 19. (Thom Barker photo)
Firefighters confer inside the back door at Northline Collision in Smithers April 19. (Thom Barker photo)Firefighters confer inside the back door at Northline Collision in Smithers April 19. (Thom Barker photo)
Smithers Fire Rescue and RCMP respond to a fire at Northline Collision in Smithers April 19. (Thom Barker photo)Smithers Fire Rescue and RCMP respond to a fire at Northline Collision in Smithers April 19. (Thom Barker photo)
Firefighters stage their equipment at Northline Collision in Smithers April 19. (Thom Barker photo)Firefighters stage their equipment at Northline Collision in Smithers April 19. (Thom Barker photo)
Smithers Fire Rescue on scene at Northline Collision in Smithers April 19. (Thom Barker photo)Smithers Fire Rescue on scene at Northline Collision in Smithers April 19. (Thom Barker photo)

Nobody was injured when a fire struck in a ventilation stack at Northline Collision yesterday (April 19).

Fire Chief Kelly Zacharias said Northline staff were cleaning one of the paint booths when a spark ignited the interior of the stack. Quick-thinking on the part of the staff to shut down the ventilation system effectively suppressed the flames.

Zacharias said 22 members of Smithers Fire Rescue responded to a call at approximately 11 a.m. Tuesday morning. While the fire was already under control when they arrived, firefighters conducted additional supression hosing down the stack from above with the department’s ladder truck.

They then used thermal imaging to ensure there was no further danger.

Overall, there was minimal damage to the business, Zacharias reported, mainly just to ventilation filters.



editor@interior-news.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter