The Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako has released the following statement on the ice jam situation on the Bulkley River in Smithers:
Ice jams have formed on the Bulkley River in the area between Main Street and Dohler Flats with minor overland flooding in the Ebenezer Flats area. It is important to note that during an ice jam situation it is difficult to predict where and if flooding will occur. Therefore, the Regional District is requesting the public to refrain from recreating on or near the Bulkley River.
Residents in the area are asked to prepare your family and your home!
- Watch the river. Ice jams can result in water levels changing very quickly.
- Be prepared with an emergency supply kit, including at least three-day’s supply of food and water for each family member. Include a windup or battery-powered radio, flashlight and batteries, prescription medications and important papers. Also, prepare a grab-and-go emergency supply kit to leave the area, if necessary.
- Ensure each member of your family has warm clothing and waterproof footwear readily available.
- Make arrangements for your pets and any livestock.
- Prepare to follow instructions of emergency officials.
- Get information about electrical safety at www.bchydro.com/safety/ .
- Get more detailed information on how to prepare yourself and your home here.
- Items that may cause contamination such as pesticides, weed killers, fertilizers and other such items should be moved to higher levels.
If you are evacuated:
- Always follow the instructions of local emergency officials.
- Take your grab-and-go emergency supply kit with you.
- Do not walk through moving water. Water may be deeper than it appears. It only takes 60 cm (2 ft.) to sweep a car away and as little as 15 cm (6 in.) of moving water can cause you to fall.
- Leave a note on your door saying where you’ve gone and register with the local reception centre.
- In case of severe flooding risk, stay tuned to local radio stations for instructions from local officials.
For further information or to report a change in conditions contact:
- Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako at 1-800-320-3339 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday
- Emergency Management BC at 1-800-663-3456 after hours, weekends, and holidays.