UPDATE: Smithers woman dies in cooking mishap

A Smithers woman died Christmas Day after a kitchen fire.

  • Tue Dec 27th, 2016 6:00pm
  • News

At 12:53 p.m. on Dec. 25, Smithers RCMP, the Smithers fire department and BC Ambulance responded to a small kitchen house fire on Montreal Street in Smithers.

A resident sustained serious injuries cooking syrup on her gas stove. The minor kitchen cooking fire was quickly extinguished and the woman was transported to Bulkley Valley District Hospital.

The 87-year-old Smithers woman died as a result of her injuries the next day.

The BC Coroners Service said a neighbour had found the woman, identified as Mary Ann Redman, injured.